Wednesday, February 12, 2014

It's the Little Things: Photo Books

Today I am linking up with It's the Little Things. It is a fairly new link-up on this here blog-land and I am excited to have found it. I tend to be very long-winded... probably something you have noticed if you are a regular reader :) I always think I need to write some in-depth profound post, but really the 'little things' are just as important. It's the little things throughout our days that make us smile and reflect on what life is really about. 

As I was trying to figure out what my first "It's the Little Things" would be about, I started looking through pictures I had recently taken with my new big girl camera (a Canon rebel T3i). I still don't really know what I am doing with it, but I try to take it out once a day to snap a few random pictures. I love the quality of the pictures and how easy it is to use, yet I still feel like I am a professional...haha. I feel pretty cool, but need absolutely no knowledge because it does everything for you ;)

Anywho, when I came across these photos I knew they were the perfect fit for this post. I snapped these a couple weeks ago and I can't stop looking at them. I guess they need a little explanation as I suppose it's not super obvious what they mean to me. As some of you may know, our little family moved from Illinois to California about seven months ago. California was a place I always dreamed about living in, so yes, part of me was super excited about the move. Not many people get the opportunity to move to such a beautiful place. And while I am extremely grateful, it hasn't been easy on me. My family means everything to me. I owe everything I have and everything I am to my parents and family. I find my comfort and strength from my family, and without them around, life is hard for me. And as if it wasn't hard enough leaving them myself, I now have Myles to think about. It was a super hard decision to make knowing that Myles would not see his grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends on a regular basis. It kills me to think he will not have them around enough.
But the thing is, I did not want Myles to grow up and go to school in the city I am from. I also did not want to be there anymore. I think as parents if we have the opportunity to enhance the lives' and futures'  of our children, we should at least give it a try. I'm not sure we will always be here or even stay away from Illinois, but for now we are trying to give Myles the chance to be something better than us. 
I have learned that you never know where life will take you. My hope is that one day we will all be together again. Until then, we have Skype dates and picture books. When we first moved, I made a family/friends picture book. He loves to look through it all the time and I never deny him the chance to spend time with his loved ones :) 

Below are a few pictures I captured while he was hanging with his loves... They also got a lot of smooches from the little man this day!
The first two pages are of Mama and Daddy.. even though he sees us everyday, I want him to know how much we love him too. The other pages are filled with grandparents, aunts and uncles, extended family, and friends.

The friends page:
On the left: Ryan and Angela | On the right: Megan and McKenna

Myles' Aunt Jamie, Uncle Matt, and cousins Ryann and Ayson
Giving them kisses on the right :)

Giving kisses to Aunt Katie, Uncle Charles, and cousins Charlie and Lexi

We have tons more family in this book that Myles loves to look at and remember. I make sure to take this out as much as possible, so Myles never forgets all the wonderful people in his life! It's the little things :) 

What are the little things you love about your babes?

24 comments :

  1. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesFebruary 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM

    That book is a great idea! We are in the same boat as you being so far from family. We try to FaceTime with Grandmas and Grandpas each weekend, but sometimes life gets busy. I might have to put together a book like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the link up. Cute photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I love that he loves looking at photo albums!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. It's also hard because Myles does not sit still! So normally our Skype time is me following him around with the iPad so my parents can watch him play! He goes to the computer and says "Papa" all the time. It's a hard choice to make, but I guess such is life. I love having the photo book, it's definitely worth making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I am glad he does too. It makes it easy to try and help him remember everyone he doesn't get to see that often. You can tell he knows who most of them are too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much, I was actually getting ready to make one bc this really is one of waverlys fave things to do!!!! Thanks so much for being a part of this. :)

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so inspiring. I've always loved to move back to my hometown and leave my husband's hometown but he isn't ready yet. I want my son to grow up with my side of the family too. :) I love the idea of a photo book, it's a great way for kids to remember their family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love posts about the little things :)! It's funny because the little things, really aren't even that little. I wrote a post a while ago about it actually. Moving away from your family is definitely hard and takes a lot of strength! It's such a great idea for the picture books with friends and family and I love that Myles not only enjoys looking at them but gives them kisses! Eli does things like that and it's just too sweet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. April @ 100lbcountdownFebruary 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM

    I haven't heard about the "little things" link up. But Michelle is right, these are what life's about. I need to get back to scrapbooking because pictures really do tell a story. Thank you for co-hosting with Countdown in Style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scrapbooks are fun. This is a great idea for when we move to another state away from my husband's parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an adorable post! brings tears to my eyes because my kids are all grown up and wishing they were small again.. Have a great life with your child. Thanks Maria Stopping by from the link party tonight

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet! We live a few states away from my family. The kids (3 and 2) will ask often to see new pictures of their aunt and uncle, grandparents, and cousins on facebook. :) A scrapbook is a great idea. I did something similar, all of DH and us, when he left for a few months for training. It helped the girls a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has really been helpful in keeping my accountable. It's so easy to just grab the book, look through it, and talk about all the people. It's super convenient to have them all in one place and then I have no excuses for making sure he 'sees' family/friends all the time. I even put pictures of my grandpa who has passed in there just so he will still know who he is!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think family is so important for young children to be around, but life isn't perfect and we have to make tough decisions :( At least your son has some family by him and hopefully one day you will get back to your hometown! I'm hoping my parents moves out by us one day. And the book really is such a nice thing to have. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so true about the little things. What we think are big things don't even matter really, everyday life is all about the little things, which like you said are actually the big things! Blogging has helped me see that too by seeing all the things other people are grateful for that I don't even realize sometimes. Little people are such blessing! It's so funny what kids do and think up on their own. He also always wants to feed the pictures, his stuffed animals too :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was definitely hard for me especially when we moved the first several months and probably up to a full year when we moved from NJ to AZ. I've changed so much though since we first came here and now I don't even talk to my family as often. I'm so engrossed in caring for my immediate family now. That doesn't necessarily have to happen for you, but it is what has happened to me. :) Thanks for being such a lovely co-host this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It’s never easy making a big decision like moving states away from your support system- especially when it impacts the most important person in your world. But you did what you know to be the best thing for you both, so I am confident in your choices. I love California and feel very lucky to have been born here….but then I went to Hawaii and now I want to move there. Lol The Rebel T3i is a serious camera! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the opportunity to co-host! It does seem to get easier as time goes on, but I just don't want Myles to forget his family. I feel bad that he doesn't have them around. I know he gets tons of love from me and his dad, but it just doesn't seem the same with the rest of them not around him more :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been to Hawaii, but I am sure if I went I would never want to leave. I am an ocean/water person. Best place in the world to be for me! California is just so awesome for me because it's not the midwest! I suppose some people actually like it there, but Lord knows it was not for me.

    I think that is the hardest thing about being a parent is making the tough decisions. Now it's not only your life it's going to effect, but your child's too. And my track record of decision making isn't the greatest. It's so hard to know what's best when it comes to shaping a future for Myles. I want him to have better opporunities, but is it worth leaving the support and love of family? I still don't know that answer. He seems to be doing fine, but would he be better if we stayed... ugh adult problems suck! And if you read all that... you are a true blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You could go back and forth all day with what if...but really- if he's doing great and he's adjusted, you did the right thing! And if later on you realize you want to go back- oh freaking well. I think you summarized it best with "adult problems suck." You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pictures are very important to me and I'm a scrapbooker so I've made quite a few of these photo books. I love them. We lived far away from family too while I was growing up and I'd have loved to have something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks mama! Sometimes I just need a little encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been picture obsessed for as long as I can remember. I just love having pictures of memories everywhere in the house. It really brightens my days! And I know it is important for Myles too!

    Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE that you are taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I always comment back either through email or as a reply on your comment :) Thanks for coming by!