Sunday, March 23, 2014

Cashew Chicken with Romanesco Cauliflower and Quinoa {recipe}

Cashew Chicken with Romanesco Cauliflower and Quinoa

This meal is perfect for those on the Paleo diet or wanting to eat clean.

What You Will Need

Cashew Chicken
2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped
Salt, to taste or add 1/2 teaspoon into the spice mixture

 
 Romanesco Cauliflower
*I never knew this vegetable existed until I got it in a box of mixed produce we buy from a local farm. It gets dropped off at our door once a month and usually has at least one vegetable/fruit I have never used before. This month was a Romanesco Cauliflower. I'm not sure how readily available it is in all areas. But you should definitely try it if you ever come across it.*
This is what is looks like:

1 head of Romanesco Cauliflower
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese

Quinoa
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water

Directions

Cashew Chicken
I found this recipe on Wifessionals. It was a part of her clean eating series. You can find the directions here!

 Romanesco Cauliflower
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray.

2. Cut Romanesco into small florets (like you would with broccoli). Place in a bowl.

3.  Season with the salt and pepper. Then add olive oil. Toss to make sure all florets are coated.

4. Place Romanesco on the baking sheet in a single layer. Evenly top with Parmesan cheese. 

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning the florets once halfway through baking time.

Quinoa
Follow directions on the package of quinoa. 
I use 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until all the water is soaked up.




Do you enjoy clean eating? Have you ever tried romanesco cauliflower before?

8 comments :

  1. This looks amazing! I love trying new veggies :) Especially with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve only ever seen pictures of this vegetable - does it have a milder taste than broccoli or cauliflower? I expect it to taste like broccoli but it’s clearly named for the other veggie. Hmm…I will try them when I see them in the farmers market this spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I have even seen this cauiflower - how very interesting. Your chicken looks wonderful especially with the cashews! Stopping by from Wine'd Down.
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It really was super delicious and the Romanesco cauliflower is definitely unique. You should try it if you ever come across it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a very cool veggie. It's actually an edible flower bud. I had never seen it before either. I got it in a mixed produce box we get from a local farm. I wouldn't have known what it was or what to do with it if they didn't put that information in the box. It doesn't look like something you cold eat but it was pretty good. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never even knew it existed and probably never would have if I didn't get it in a mixed produce box we get from a local farm. I would say it is milder than broccoli. A little more plain like I think cauliflower is, but the texture is very different. I liked the taste, but it was weird to eat because of the texture and the way it looked. It felt wrong to be eating it, but I did actually like the taste. I think roasting in the oven is probably the best way to try it. I even sprinkled some Parmesan on it. It is definitely worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. April @ 100lbcountdownApril 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM

    A new cauliflower! I used some plain white cauliflower last night. I love the taste. Does it taste like the white one? Thanks for sharing with Countdown in Style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It tastes more like a cauliflower than a broccoli but it is a little different. I would definitely recommend trying it because it is super unique. The texture is very different, but the taste isn't very strong. It is just kind of weird to eat because of texture. I liked it and I am glad I was able to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE that you are taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I always comment back either through email or as a reply on your comment :) Thanks for coming by!