Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Halloween 2014: Decor, Pumpkins, Treating, and MORE!

Well... I guess I missed the boat on sharing our Halloween yesterday! But I am still recovering from the weekend and that time change is killing me for some reason! I absolutely love Halloween (even more so now that I have Myles) so yesterday was my favorite blog reading day of the year so far! I loved seeing all the little ones' costumes and the festive things you all did!
I got out the decor a while ago but never shared because it wasn't much but I figured I'd show a bit here today:
 Entry table with paper spider, skulls, glitter pumpkins, and lots of spiderwebs!

 We have this area on the wall when you first walk in that is like a little ledge that comes down from the vaulted ceilings. I haven't done anything with it yet, so I thought why not put some Halloween decor up there. Myles LOVED it and talked about all the decorations all day long, so it was a success in my book. 

Moving on to pumpkin time! I love carving pumpkins, but I have to be honest with myself and the world... I'm no good at it. As much as I want to consider myself a creative person, sometimes I fall short and pumpkin carving is one of those times. I just used an outline from a book for mine. I got everything set up before dinner Wednesday and while I was cooking Myles played:

After dinner we went out and tried to do what we could before it got too dark. Myles painted his small pumpkins and then got messy with the guts.

We only got two done before it got too dark. The next day we just put a sticker cat face on the third one. I got a kit from the Dollar Tree with 4 different faces made form foam stickers. They are actually good quality; such a good deal. 
Our set-up outside:

Last year Halloween night was pretty awesome, so I wasn't sure if this year would compare... especially since Myles decided he no longer wanted to wear the Spider-man costume that he picked out! He had been telling me he wanted to be Spider-man for weeks so that's what I bought. He wore it around the house a couple times, and then as actual Halloween got closer and closer he wanted nothing to do with it... like meltdown city style. So I returned it and started brainstorming a plan b. I could only gather that what he didn't like about the costume was the puffy muscle part and I already knew that he wouldn't go for anything on his face. I went to Target to see if I could find something that was like pajamas, but could still be seen as a costume... no such luck. Then I went to the Spirit store and found a Ninja Turtle onesie that was just like normal clothes. Myles picked out the Raphael one and I was very hopeful this one would work out! It took a little coaxing and explaining but we had success!

We went a couple places Tricking or Treating before the actual night (two outdoor malls that had trick or treating at the stores), so Myles had a little practice. Both times we went, he liked the getting candy part, but was so shy and wouldn't say anything to anyone. I figured that night would be the same and I wasn't sure how it was going to go. We got him all dressed, grabbed his big stuffed Leo and hopped on his bike:

We used this bike last year for Halloween and it worked out so well that I thought we would give it a try this year too. It was so perfect again; Myles put his Leo in the back and his bucket on the handle bars. I was able to push him when we had longer distances to go and he would walk when he wanted to. Since we just moved to this city we weren't too sure where to go, but we randomly decided to just walk across the street to a neighborhood behind us, and we hit the jackpot! Within just a couple blocks there were tons of houses all decked out and not too many other kids. Myles was really good at going up to each door and picking out his candy. He was so into it and I could tell he was having a great time. Of course his favorite part was all of the decorations. He asked me to take his picture with this pumpkin, but his favorite one was a blow up pumpkin and ghosts that were made to look like Pac-Man and the ghosts. 

We were out for about 1 1/2 and then headed home to see if we could hand any candy out. Our street looked completely empty so I figured we weren't getting any... but right before bed we got two groups! I really wanted Myles to get to hand some out so I was super excited. He was so proud of himself for helping and even shacked a little boy's hand :) 

Not sure what we are going to do with all of this.. Myles doesn't like chocolate and I don't need any of it! But it was so worth stopping at every house to see his cute little butt walking around like a big boy! Perfect Halloween!
I hope you all had as great of a time as we did!
 How was your holiday weekend?

I am linking up today with the lovely Elizabeth from Chasin' Mason and Desiree from Macke Monologues for their Fall Family Bucket List.



10 comments :

  1. Aww! He looks like he had a great time with all of it! And I love that onesie idea! This was the first year that I was really able to get Nicholas to wear a costume for more than a few minutes and that would have been a lifesaver last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so awesome as a Ninja turtle! I love it! I love your pumpkins too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesNovember 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM

    Your decorations are so much fun! I wish we did more than just carving pumpkins. Which, yours, by the way… LOVE how they turned out!!
    And, you have the cutest little TMNT in all the land. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. Myles is the cutest and funniest pumpkin carver! Love that he does it naked (well with a diaper) so he doesn't make a huge mess. That and the rolling on the pumpkin! Too cute.
    Love all the decorations! Looks like you guys had a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myles was that way this year. It bothered him so much and he freaked out when I asked him to put it on :( I am so glad I found that one because otherwise I don't think he would have worn anything. Thankfully he liked it and ended up having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that he would have worn one a little more 'realistic' or more of an actual costume, but he wasn't having it at all! Pumpkins were a lot of fun this year too! Every year it gets better with Myles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks love! He is definitely my favorite turtle for sure! I have to step my pumpkin carving game up badly. He thinks they are so cool now but as he gets older, I am sure he will notice they are a bit lacking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did the same last year too with the naked pumpkin carving. That way he can get as messy as he wants. I loved messy play when I was younger and so I am all over anything that involves a mess for Myles. I was laughing at him so hard when I looked outside and saw him rolling and then kicking the pumpkins! And thanks we really did have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I was so happy with how it went... you never know when toddlers are involved!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE that you are taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I always comment back either through email or as a reply on your comment :) Thanks for coming by!