Sunday, April 6, 2014

Chili Pasta Bake {recipe}

Chili Pasta Bake
What You Will Need

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained
2 cans chili beans, drained
1/2 medium onion, chopped
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 pinch ground allspice
salt to taste
12 oz uncooked spaghetti noodles
8 oz Mexican blend shredded cheese

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet, and cook until brown; drain.
2. Add the cooked turkey, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, chili beans, onion, and mushrooms in your crock pot. Mix together and season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, allspice and salt. 
3. Cover and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
4.  When the chili has about 20 minutes left, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Also cook the spaghetti according to the package.

5. Once the spaghetti is done cooking and drained, evenly lay it evenly on the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish. Pour chili evenly over the spaghetti and top with cheese. 

6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
 

 And if you really love the combo of chili and spaghetti, check out my Homemade Steak n Shake Chili Mac recipe!

8 comments :

  1. Wow! That sounds pretty amazing! I'm both incredibly disappointed and a little glad that my oven is acting wonky. Disappointed because this meal looks/sounds soooooooo good (and will be added to pinterest), but a little relieved because we're going paleo in my home and it's far from paleo friendly. Maybe I will substitute the pasta or just use it as a cheat meal, but yum either way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yum! I think my girls would really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chili!! I never thought about using chili on noodles and baking it. That is an interesting idea and I may have to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boyfriend keeps talking about paleo too. I've made some paleo meals that I have liked and some that did not turn out well at all! We aren't strict (like with this meal), but we do buy as much fresh and unprocessed as possible. Spaghetti squash is a good paleo alternative to regular spaghetti. We have used it before and is pretty good. Maybe you could try that with chili.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son loved it. It is so hard finding stuff he will eat because he is so finicky. But he ate the heck out of this. He normally likes pasta and beans so this was a good combo for him. You can use any kind of pasta to so you can change it up and be different depending on your likes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a chili lover too. I like to make it in the crock pot cause then it's ready to go at dinner time I have always loved the chili mac at Steak n Shake so I figured this would be good. It seems like a weird combo but trust me it is good. It gives an upgraded taste to normal chili.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's kind of like the approach that we are taking, too. I really want to cut out most of our bread consumption and then add a few 'cheat' meals during the week. I would love to try it with spaghetti squash, but I live in the Netherlands and I have never seen one here. I'm not seriously considering growing them myself.


    I'll probably end up making it with normal pasta in the next few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bread is my weakness! I am a carb lover. I don't care too much for sweets and such, but oh my.. I can max out on breads! I do limit myself but I sometimes I can't resist! Good luck to you guys. I'm sure it won't be that hard. My problem is finding recipes I like. I can never find that much.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE that you are taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I always comment back either through email or as a reply on your comment :) Thanks for coming by!