Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Myles Monthly: 21

As you may know, I didn't decide to start my blog until my son Myles was about 8 months old. And well... now he is over 2 years old! I'm still trying to get caught up with the monthly updates and monthly favorites, so I can get, and hopefully stay, up to date. 

 April 15th- May 14th, 2014

Stat Update: Because of insurance reasons we had his 18 month well check a little late. So at almost 21 months he was 24.6 pounds 34 inches. I think the height was a little off because now at 27 months he is 34 1/2 inches, so I think they were high on that stat. And his poor weight; he started out at like the 90% in the early months and has steadily gone down to like the 20 percentile now. He is very strong and normal height, but so skinny. 18-24 month pants are still falling off of him! He is my little peanut now!

Since the health category is kind of phasing out lately and his personality is coming on strong these days, I figured I would start to change up this category a bit.  
This month the terrible twos came on strong! He was always wanting to do things that were dangerous or defiant. Although I am sure he didn't really understand what he was doing wrong or why I was saying no. The worst was that he always wanted to run out in the street. I tried to keep him away, but I also wanted to expose him so that he would learn. He definitely didn't understand 'no' and I was beginning to think I was headed for the point of no return. I picked up a couple books, one of them being The Happiest Toddler on the Block hoping to avert my foreseen doomed future. I actually really enjoyed the book and found a lot of helpful hints if any of you are looking for a recommendation. 
He also started to be over going to The Little Gym. We had been going since he was 11 months old and recently moved up to a new class. He didn't want to participate in group activities and became bored after being there a couple minutes. It was a great place to go and we really loved our teachers, but I could just tell that it was time to let that one go.
To end on a positive note, he also started showing an interest in the way things work. He always wanted to help his daddy fix, make, build, etc. He knew right where the all the tools were and loved to get out the hammer!

Steadily trying more foods and adding more to each meal. Still no breakfast food, just milk, but lunch and dinner were going good. Nothing new in the breastfeeding department. Same schedule as last month: once in the morning, at nap time, and before bed.


Before we went back to visit my parents in Illinois this time, I told them to sell his old crib. It was a smaller one with the changing table attached and he was too big for it now. I thought about buying another, bigger crib, but it didn't seem like it would be worth it considering he would most likely be in a toddler bed soon. I also thought about bringing our pack 'n play, but that was getting too small for him too. So I gave my parents the okay to look for a big boy bed for him. I wasn't sure what exactly was going to happen because he was still in a crib at home. I was hoping for the best and expecting (dreading) the worse. 
I showed them a Buzz bed I found on Craigslist just for fun, knowing it was too expensive for just a vacation bed. My mom told me she bought just a regular cheap one and I was happy with that. However, we were both surprised when we got there and saw this:

He was so excited he was fumbling over his words! And at that point, I knew that the bed was totally worth it! I figured the fact that he loved it so much might work in my favor to get him to sleep in it! At night we laid down thick layers of blankets on each side in case he fell off. I did our normal routine, nursed him a bit, and laid him down. He went to sleep with no problems.. miracle! He did wake up early and get into bed with me for a while, but that was expected from him. I couldn't believe how well he did! I am guessing he was exhausted from the trip because the next night... not so much... I did everything the same and then a couple minutes later he was up walking around crying for me. I let him go a bit to see what he would do and within a couple minutes I didn't hear him anymore. When I went in there to go to bed myself, I found him sleeping on the blankets that were on the side of the bed. I didn't dare move him, knowing that the blankets were probably more comfortable than the bed anyway! The next night he got up and cried again, only this time it lasted longer. I waited it out and again he put himself back down. Then every night after that was fine. So all in all, it went way better than I could have ever imagined. With his sketchy sleeping history, I was really preparing for a total disaster and it wasn't too bad. The transition back home was a little rough the first few nights because he was used to coming in bed with me around 5am, but he quickly got over that and fell back to his normal routine of bedtime being from 9pm-8am. Also one nap still from 1pm-3/4pm.

Adding words each month that were new and I remembered to write down: 
'Op' for open- Op please or Op door
Up (to carry him), outside, Otay
Starting to repeat words back after you say them
Starting to say 'ABCs' and says letters when looking at words
Can count to 6 but not all the way thorough at the same time

Names for family members: Uncle Tick (uncle Chris), Papa (grandpa), Dabo (grandma)
I have no idea where Dabo came from. When we went back to visit them. he woke up in the morning and went to the garage door and said "Where's Dabo?" and it has stuck with every since. So now I am guessing she will be Dabo for the rest of her life!

  • We spent the actual holiday of Easter in Illinois. We did some Easter egg hunting, church going, brunch eating, egg dying, and tons of family hanging:
  • This month we were on a Jamba Juice kick so we had many a Jamba Juice dates. Myles called it "Tippy juice" because we went there a lot with his friend Cammy (who he called Tippy).
  •  We also got to celebrate some great friends' birthdays. His bestie Cammy turned 2.

And our little friend Kenny turned one!
  • We took a day trip to the Children's Museum of Stockton. I found out about this place on Yelp and thought we would give it a try. We drove a little over an hour to get there and at first I didn't think it was worth it. I picked this place solely based on some pictures I saw online of emergency vehicles that you were able to get into and explore. I thought for sure Myles would love it.. well of course he was in and out of them within 5 seconds and didn't even care to check them out. At that point, I figured it would be a dud of a trip. Luckily Myles found a makeshift pinball machine that kept his attention for like a half an hour! And once we started exploring the rest of the museum, we found tons of things to keep our interest: train table, mini golf, art room, house with kitchen, farm, grocery store, newsroom, and water table. So in the end it was a successful trip and a place I would recommend for the little ones.
  • While we were vising back home we got to spend some quality time with my lifelong best friend and her kids. It was going to be my niece's birthday in a couple weeks (and I would be missing it) so I wanted to take her some place that we could spent some time together. And now that Myles was getting older, he could play and interact with the older kids more, so we took them all to a family fun park for mini golf, go-carts, and arcade games. We tried to get Myles on the go-cart but it took too long to start and he wanted out before we got going. He played a little mini-putting, but it mostly turned into him trying to throw his ball into all of the water features. But I really had the best time with them.. they make my heart so happy!

  • First time in big boy bed (see 'sleep' above)

Funnies and Favorites
  •  Favorite movie: Robots 
  • Favorite book: Ernie and Bert Can 
  • Favorite game: being chased around the kitchen and in circles
  • Really good at kicking and 'dribbling' the soccer ball
  • Favorite toy: Still loving his balls
  • I had to include this picture for all the Toy Story enthusiasts. One day we were playing with Buzz upstairs and I mentioned something about him flying and the next thing I know Buzz is being launched down the stairs onto the ground. Perfect reenactment of one of the saddest scenes in the original.   
  • Hot enough in California for splash pad time in May. I picked this one up at Target and it was the perfect way to keep cool while playing outside. He always wanted me to stomp around in the water with him.
  • Favorite ride/game: This virtual ride at Chuck E. Cheese. This kid would sit on that ride forever, even if I didn't put any money in it. I can't tell you how much money I have spent on this machine, I probably could have bought our own by now. This time he suckered grandma onto it for all three rides, plus the bonus one :)
  • And jumping of course! Discovering the joys of the trampoline at grandma and grandpa's house made this the happiest boy on Earth.

What are new milestones your kid(s) are reaching?


  1. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesNovember 19, 2014 at 2:49 PM

    You packed so much in during this month!
    That Buzz bed is so awesome!!! Best vacation bed, ever.
    YAY for all the bouncing. Good bye toddler energy, hello good naps and night time sleep. :)

  2. I know I am so jealous of that bed! I wanted my mom to ship it back here! But we went with the dinosaur them instead, but now he has something to be excited about for sleep there.. heaven knows we need all the help we can get in that department! Love the trampoline too, but then I'm tired as well lol!


I LOVE that you are taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I always comment back either through email or as a reply on your comment :) Thanks for coming by!